PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Monday, July 07, 2008

organic.

Finally out of school (although I have found I'm still spending everyday studying for what might be the biggest test of them all -my nursing boards!), I'm making a list of all the things they forgot to teach us in sixteen years of schooling. I'm finding the greatest lessons learned weren't arithmetic or biology, but lessons learned through the trials and tribulations of life. I'm learning that you cannot expect people to be who they are not. You will only get hurt. 1. Expect nothing of anyone but yourself; for yourself, expect only the best. By the age of fifteen, i had undeniably been stripped of a mother, a best friend, a youth, an innocence - normalcy in any aspect of my life. I found it shockingly convincing to hide a scared little girl behind a cute outfit, good grades, and a reflexive smile. 2. Perservere. I've been wondering if my love for photography is really only a superficial vice to portraying a picture perfect life, an outlet to single out a glorified smile from a war ground. You have the choice to succumb to the negative forces or redirect your focus on the positive and use it to empower you. 3. Find the pathological optimist in you. I'm learning that it really isn't about what you know but who you know that gets you ahead in life. 4. Surround yourself with incredible people. I've learned all guys are disappointing, some are just less disappointing versions of others. but they will probably disappoint you too. unrequited love hurts. 5. Never make someone a priority that keeps you as an option. I'm learning broken hearts mend but leave pretty significant scars leaving you rather cautious and over protective to let love in... somewhat unfair to anyone who tugs at your heartstrings. 6. Love like you've never been hurt. I've learned parenting, to some, is supposedly an option. Family isn't always defined by blood lines; it's a delicate relationship of unconditional love and support, a vested interest in something you consider worthwhile. 7. Be the change you wish to see in your world. Negativity harbors. 8. Just let it go. You'll inevitably come across small minds. You'll undoubtedly encounter ignorance, prejudism, hate. You'll unavoidably face pain, abandonment and fear. You'll question your purpose. your strength. your capability. your integrity. You'll be let down. You'll be challenged. You'll learn the power of tears, friendships, karma and hope. 9. Smile. You'll wonder if you could do it all again, would it be the same? You'll wonder if you'll ever find true love? You'll wonder if you will ever feel accomplished enough? I wonder if the the suburb of utopia really exists where 10. Everyone is the hero of their own story.

No comments: