PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Saturday, April 26, 2008

College ends in realization, discovery

I’ve got new priorities. I’m holding onto old ways of life. The science of love is phony. The illness of Senioritis is real. I think men should be more respected by advertisers. I think women should be more respected in general. I like lifestyles changes to be small but significant. I like Moe’s portions to be small but filling. I’m saying “bring it on” to the future and “back off” to Facebook. I don’t like Gainesville all the time but the sadness of leaving makes me break into rhyme.
I was reading back through past columns to decide what I could focus on my final week, and nothing seemed important enough to be my last ever topic. Nothing seemed to summarize everything I wanted to say. I wanted to be able to go out with an exciting bang. I wanted to say I actually got a job. Nope. Or that I know where I’m moving in a few months. Nope. Or that I’m getting married, joining the Peace Corps, and filing an invasion of privacy lawsuit against Facebook. Absolutely not, couldn’t do it, and, that would be awesome but, no. Since I couldn’t wow you with my plans I was having trouble thinking of an equally appropriate and interesting closing topic. Until I noticed that there is a central theme that has surfaced in almost everything I wrote: realization and discovery.
By putting my thoughts into words, I’ve realized a lot about growing up, finding freedom, and accepting change. And if you think about it you’ll see we make a lot of important discoveries about our lives while in college.
Freshman year I discovered it is possible, though not always pleasurable, to live away from my mom. I realized I could eat pasta 5 nights a week without getting sick of it. I learned bunk beds aren’t as exciting as I believed they were as a child. And I could never live in a brothel because among other obvious reasons, there is such a thing as too many girls living in one place.
Sophomore year I concluded that college can be a lot of fun, especially if you live in an apartment complex with 11 friends. At this time I also realized that changing your major could be a sort of hobby if you let it. And on that note, I discovered that hobbies from your childhood, like dance, are not necessarily as fulfilling in college. But if you’re looking for a new hobby and your dad is willing to pay for it, traveling is a good option.
My junior year I realized love can hurt if you’re not too careful. While interning, I decided that living in a town full of strangers is not as lonely as it sounds. And at this time, it was also brought to my attention that celebrities often don’t look as good up close. Except Orlando Bloom. He looks good from any distance.
My senior year I’ve had the most significant revelations of all. I now know that I’m lucky to have close friends who are always available for an entertaining conversation, a good cry, or even just lunch. I understand that even if you’re smart it doesn’t mean you will pass Business Finance. And even if you go to Tutoring Zone, it still doesn’t mean you will pass Business Finance. I realize that laughter is not only the best medicine, but also the best way to bring different people together, and it can actually be a sort of aphrodisiac. Finally, I feel like I’ve somewhat come to know myself. I want to be a writer. And I want what I write to make other people laugh.
So while I was hoping to go out with an exciting bang, I’ll have to settle for going out with a simple “woo hoo!”
Just because it’s time to move on doesn’t mean life will offer you a clear path to the future. But complaining doesn’t make things better. And worrying doesn’t make things happen. So I’m going to focus on the positive.
My career plans are just as uncertain as the day I started school here. But my life is not. I’ve realized what’s important to me and I challenge everyone else to do the same.
The end of one thing is the beginning of another. The end of this semester gives us all the opportunity to realize more about ourselves and to discover more about our futures. And there’s nothing more exciting than that. Woo hoo!

No comments: