PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, June 09, 2009

weight of the world.

For most people, scent is their language of memory and distinct smells bring back the most vivid memories. While certain fragrances do remind me of significant places and people (jasmine reminds me of Italy, Gap cologne reminds me of Australia, patchouli reminds me of my mum, creatine reminds me of ex-boyfriends)... it's music that brings back the most memorable moments for me! Outkast - "Ms. Jackson" will always remind me of keg parties in high school. Lifehouse - "You and Me" will always remind me of rocking Kate to sleep as a baby. Black Crowes - "She Talks to Angels" will always remind me of myself. Rent - "Seasons of Love" will forever remind me of dance parties with my roommates in college. Justin Timberlake - "Chop Me Up" will always make me smile thinking of road trips with Jess, particularly to Panama City Beach where we caught the flu and sang Rascal Flatts - "Stand" for weeks until we were well enough to stand again. Jessica Simpson - "With You" will always remind me of my first love and Avril Lavigne -"Why" will always remind me of when that love ended. Buckcherry - "Crazy B*itch" will always take me back to a chick swinging from a rafter at a biker bar in Phoenix. Taylor Swift - Mary's Song (Oh My My My) was the song that evoked the most butterflies when I realized I would have said yes and her "White Horses" is what got me through never getting the opportunity to. Kid Rock - "All Summer Long" will always remind me of driving across the country with Grams last summer and more recently, Beyonce - "Single Ladies" will always remind me of my time in Los Angeles! 
But there is an entire cd that got me through one of the most trying times of my life .... Chantal Kreviazuk: What If It All Means Something. For the latter half of high school, I spent most nights crying myself to sleep wondering what it all could mean and there is one song that I feel like got me through it - "Weight of the World" - where her lyrics became my mantra and I really did go from carrying the weight of the world to spreading my wings... to fly! 

It seems like I got off on a bit of a tangent writing this post... I was originally just going to say that seeing live shows at hotel cafe is incomparable to anything else and that I was amazed again last night when I went to see Chantal Kreviazuk perform ... but I guess my preface gives you insight of why I thought she was just so fabulous! 

No comments: