PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Sunday, March 22, 2009

the big sleep.


Today, our book-to-movie club met for our review of Raymond Chandler's A Big Sleep. Set in LA, it was exciting to read a murder mystery where the high speed chases are on roads that I drive on everyday! I fell in love with Phillip Marlowe's character and as Lindsay so perfectly put it, Marlowe really set the stereotype for detectives to be witty and cynical in all spy stories to come. My first experience with classic films, I was really glad I had read the book first so I was engaged from the very first black-and-white scene... something that normally isn't my cup of tea. Humphrey Bogart's perfect execution of Marlowe's charming yet ruthless character was phenom and a complete surprise ending, the love story that unveiled between Bogart and Bacall was timeless.  A definite must-read! =) Afterwards, we did some "s.p.i."ing of our own and gathered to discuss different schools of philosophical thoughts... 

No comments: